Cajeta, also known as dulce de leche, is a hispanic sweet thick milk caramel syrup. In Mexico this sweet confection is know as cajeta and in other Spanish speaking countries it is called dulce de leche. You can use it as a delicious spread for toast, hotcakes, churros, cookies and icecream!
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 3 cups sugar
- ¼ tsp soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- This popular dessert is also called Cajeta, Dulce de Leche or Leche Quemada.
- Combine 1 quart of whole milk in a saucepan with the sugar and vanilla. Cook over low heat until it turns golden. Stir occasionally.
- Stir the remaining quart of milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Gradually add this hot milk to the caramel stiring constantly.
- Place over low heat and cook very slowly until the picture is thick.
- Cool slightly and then pour into a sealed container. You can store it up to a month.
- You can use Dulce de Leche as a spreadable topping over breads and cakes, ice cream or have it as dessert on its own.
Variations Cajeta Envinada
Follow directions and when almost cooked add one cup of sweet sherry. Continue cooking until the sherry has been absorbed.