The roof is reminiscent of the old Jewish tents used when they traveled through the desert. It also symbolizes the Virgin Mary’s mantle that protects the faithful inside the Basilica.
The Basilica has sitting space for 10,000 people. When needed, from the exterior Chapel on the second floor of the basilica, masses are held where up to 50,000 people in the atrium can take part in the Mass and other ritual celebrations.
- Paroquia de las Capuchinas Ex-convent of the Cappuccin Nuns Built in 1787
- El Baptisterio The Baptistery Consecrated in 1991
- Capilla del Pocito The Chapel of the Well 1791
- Capilla del Cerrito The Chapel of the Hill 1749
- Parroquia de los Indios The Parish of the Indians 1649
- Museo de la Basílica de Guadalupe The Museum of the Basilica of Guadalupe
Masses are celebrated in the Basilica every hour from 6:00 AM to 8:00PM
Confessions are heard every day of the year in the Basilica, continuously from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
The museum is open to the public Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
There are guided visits of the Sanctuary
Monday to Friday from 10:00AM to 12:00PM Hourly groups.
Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM to 1:00PM Hourly groups.
The address of the Basilica is:
Plaza de las Américas # 1
Col. Villa de Guadalupe
Delegación Gustavo A. Madero
From the US
Telephone: (011 525 ) 555 577 6022
Fax: (011 525) 555 577 50 38